Okotoks/Black Diamond to host the 2023 Alberta Summer Games
This is only the third time since the first Alberta Summer Game’s in 1974 two communities will share hosting duties for the 2023 Alberta Summer Games. Okotoks also hosted with two neighboring communities in 2004.
Athletes compete in 14 different sports at the Alberta Summer Games including baseball, mountain biking, rugby, swimming and beach volleyball. Participants qualify to attend the games through zone playoffs held throughout the province.
The event is coordinated by the Okotoks/Black Diamond Alberta Summer Games Society with support from the Ministry of Culture and Status of Women.
Athletes who have participated in the Alberta Summer Games and gone on to represent Canada at the Olympics include:
- Kyra Christmas, 2008/10 Alberta Summer Games – 2021 Tokyo Olympics
- Allison Beveridge, 2006 Alberta Summer Games – 2021 Tokyo Olympics, 2016 Rio Olympics (Bronze)
- Sage Watson, 2010 Alberta Summer Games – 2021 Tokyo Olympics, 2016 Rio Olympics
- Morgan Bird, 2006 Alberta Summer Games – 2012, 2016 and 2021 Paralympics
- Stefan Daniel, 2012 Alberta Summer Games – 2016, 2021 Paralympics (Silver and Bronze)
Softball Alberta now accepting zone coach applications
Applications are open for coaches in all zones. The zone teams must have a minimum of two female coaches. At least one male and one female coach will have to be fully Trained at the Community Softball level in the NCCP.
To apply, coaches will need to submit a coach portfolio complete with their coaching background, NCCP number and two reference letters from their local softball association. They must be at least 18 years old at the beginning of the Games.
Selected coaches will have to submit a Police Records Check, Vulnerable Sector Check as well as complete Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders if they have not already done so.
Please send applications to email@example.com. Deadline to apply: March 21, 2022.